Saturday, May 30, 2009

SLEEPING IN

I love to sleep. If I believed in reincarnation (I don't) I think either I was a cat or would come back a cat. Cats sleep 20 out of 24 hours. But since I don't believe that way, its just a weird thought I guess.
I get up early when the sun beams in, or when someone is loud in the morning and wakes me up. Since I'm actually somewhat an insomniac, when I sleep, I sleep hard, when I wake, I'm up!
I remember sharing with a friend how much I had been sleeping. She had a newborn at the time, so sleep was elusive. She said telling her how much I was sleeping was like counting all your money in front of a poor person. She was right. I remember the newborn days.
My oldest son is adopted. I brought him home at 3 days. I was anxious once I heard about him being born, so I didn't sleep for two nights, wondering and thinking and planning for this baby boy. I was in for an incredible shock. I lost two nights sleep, so day three when we brought him home, that night.... he was awake every 2 hours to eat. I could not remember anyone ever telling me that babies don't sleep at least 8 hours at night. Thank God for naps! By the time he was 3 months old, he slept 8 hours straight. That was heaven!
In Psalm 3:5, 6 David says, "I lay down and slept. I woke up in safety, for the Lord was watching over me. I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies who surround me on every side." Sleep doesn't come easily during a crisis. David could have had sleepless nights when his son Absalom rebelled and gathered an army to kill him. But, he slept peacefully, even during the rebellion. What made the difference? David cried out to the Lord, and the Lord heard him. (See Psalm 3:1,ff) The assurance of answered prayer and divine protection brings peace. It's easier to sleep well when we have the conviction that God is in control of circumstances. If you are lying at night worrying about circumstances you can't change (or you can, but don't know how) pour out your heart to God, and thank him that He is in control. Sleep will come.
Jesus slept in a rocking boat during a violent, loud storm. He knew who was in control. Sometimes God calms the storm outside, and sometimes God calms the storm within us.
Let Him do both.... Sweet dreams!

No comments: