Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Friendship

Do you have friends that are always there? I think when I was little I thought my best friend would be my husband. But, like a lot of women, I had pre-conceived ideas a little skewed. Don't get me wrong, I'm friends with my husband, but to be a best friend; I think a little more not opposite would need to be in place. I don't think that's sad. Perhaps if you were a little girl still in Cinderella land maybe. But, if you want the truth, not everyone marries their best friend. If you're blessed, you are friends.
Some of us had a friend afraid to marry because she was so different from her spouse to be. She said "he doesn't like shopping, reading, chick-flicks" and we told her "That's why you have girlfriends!"
Sorry, but I even get a little skeptical when I hear someone say they are married to their best friend. I think you can have a very fulfilling, loving marriage and not necessarily have him be your best friend. A really good combination would be another couple you and your husband can both be friends with. Now, that's a hard fit. You actually have to have both directions of friendship. Plus, it needs to work. The dynamics are a little tricky, but it's great when it does come together.
As your children get older, they can become your friends. "Home-grown" friends. That is pretty cool.
I think Jesus struggled with friends and friendship. Don't you think? Everyone would want to "say" they are his friend, but he made sure that we knew what cost it would be to actually "be" his friend. Check out John 15:13. NOW, who is your best friend?

2 comments:

borninok said...

Don't forget the pact we made years ago.....that we would always remain best friends no matter what...

And so far, I think you and I have leaned on each other's shoulders quite a bit throughout the years. And, Lord willing, we will always be best friends.
Hugs,
Mel

Feather said...

I agree with this one.